12.12.09

Time...did you know Hootie is black?

Working 50 hours a week, making a serious effort to maintain friendships, actively seeking Community at the Stone, and now trying to train for a tri has left me wondering if I am really spending my time the way I was meant to spend it. I'm rereading Donald Miller's book, Through Painted Deserts and I really got to thinking about life...

"It's a living book, this life; it folds out in a million settings, cast with a billion beautiful chracters, and it is almost over for you. It doesn't matter how old you are; it is coming to a close quickly, and soon the credits will roll and all your friends will fold out of your funeral and drive back to their homes in cold and still and silence. And they will make a fire and pour some wine and think about how you once were...and feel a kind of sickness at the idea you never again will be. So soon you will be in that part of the book where you are holding te bulk of the pages in your left hand, and ony a thin wisp of the story in your right. You will know by the page count, not by the narrative, that the Author is wrapping things up. You begin to mourn its ending, and want to pace yourself slowly toward its closure, knowing the last lines will speak of something beautiful, of the end of something long and earned and you hope the thing closes out like last breaths, like whispers about how much and who the characters have come to love, and how authentic the sentiments feel when they have earned a hundred pages of qualification. "

Am I living the life I was meant to live? Is working at HEB the best the Lord has in store for me? Am I restlessly discontent or at a sweet peace with what He has provided? I guess that is a bigger question than what I'm willing to divulge on my blog...

As I ponder this passing of time, I am reminded of a classic song by Hootie and Blowfish who happened to have a huge concert my sophomore year at Baylor. One of the girls on my hall loved Hootie and her mother came down for the big event. We started talking and I was very surprised to find out that Hootie is black. All of those years rollerblading to Hootie in Michigan and I had absolutly no idea what the man looked like. Fast forward to today and the man is a country singer! Who knew?!

I guess this wisdom is something that can only come with the passing of time...

1 comment:

Graham and Erin said...

Hey Lynnie! Did you know that Hootie is Darius Rucker...an up and coming country singer. He's great! I miss you!