9.4.09

Cats Exploding, TAKS Failing...

A few months ago the Stone said there was a need for tutors at Regan high school (this really urban, cool school). Anyways, I signed up and have been helping some of the ESL kids (take that Norden (Norden was my spanish teacher my freshman year who gave me a D* and ruined my entire college career)) and we have a great time.

Well today I go and help kids with some of the labs they have to do to prepare for the TAKS test.

Sidenote: I didn't mention to them that I, myself, actually failed the english portion of the TAKs test in high school and had to retake it. Therefore, probably not making me the brightest tutor for the job.

Anyways, we are preparing for the science portion of the TAKs test and I get the part that covers convection, conduction and radiation...totally forgot what those were, but I'm a pro now. Anyways, I'm helping these funny kids and we start talking about microwaves...radiation. Being the great role model that I am, I tell them that in the early 60swhen the microwave was first becoming popular in homes, people used to wash their pets and stick them in the microwave to dry them off. The pets would explode in the microwave and it would be a huge tragedy and mess amongst the family. I'm almost 90% sure that these kids walked out of the classroom in search of a stray cat to blow up.

A. I would point them towards our street where there is a plethora of cats to choose from.
B. I know I'm going to get a call from Regan high school asking me to never set foot on campus.
C. PENA is going to have my head.

All of that to say, I also taught them that H20 was two oxygens and one hydrogen. It seems that I have set these kids up for success in every possible way.

Heck, I failed the test and still made it out okay right???


*I know they say you earn your grades...this woman totally gave me the D. She was wayyy out of line.

**This post makes me look like the biggest floozy ever...

No comments: