I had the sweet, sweet opportunity to check out Drew's life in L.A. this past weekend. I had been super excited about this chance to scope it all out, but definately walked away much more refreshed, blessed and rejuvinated than I could have ever have imagined.
I would love to give you the details of the trip, but we did so much (almost 500 miles worth) that the highlights will have to suffice for now.
By far one of the highlights was surfing with Drew's friends in San Clemente. Josh (who fits the stereotype of surfer to the max), Drew and I got up super early, loaded up the Camry with the boards and headed North. We spent our first morning tackling Middles, this set of waves that were unusually high for this area. Needless to say, I got destroyed and was quickly aware that nature was going to win the battle before I even had a chance. It was brutal and way harder than I thought possible. After some burritos and rest, we headed to another beach and spent the sunset surfing some of the most perfect waves imaginable. I definately didn't get up, but got close enough to feel a little better about myself. Drew hit some amazing waves and was a better surfer than I expected. While were sitting out waiting for the next set, a family of dolphins joined us for a bit...completely amazing!
That night we slept in one of his friends Motor Home (nicknamed the "Motorhomo"), one of the dirtiest, grungy vans ever...but totally worth it! We sat around the campfire and laughed and really had the true surfer experience. The four boys, Sarah Beth and I all slept in the motorhomo and got up early for another day of surfing. Again, nature destroyed us, but we had a great time just being out on the water.
We took our time getting up the coast to Pasadena and stopped at this crazy, cool beach in Laguna. There were awesome rocks and we got to relax...that is until Drew and SB decided to swim to a cool secluded beach and Drew got cheese grated majorily on the rocks by the current. Nature 3...Us 0.
The rest of the afternoon we just played and had a tapas dinner...who knew tapas were small and definately not a meal? We learned the hard way. It was fun to lay low, drink wine and play cards only to fall asleep early...definately a sign that the sun was good and we were spent.
The next day we got to hike and see the entire coastline and city of LA from atop a small mountain. It was great to just be outside and hang out with SB's friend Crystal. Drew and I went to Cha Cha Chicken and ate some jamaican food and had the best drink ever...lemonade and watermelon juice...the ultimate summer in your mouth drink. After some Diddy Reise cookies (1.50 for a custom ice cream sandwich that was insane good), we headed home for another chill night.
A run this morning and I was headed back to the airport to return to the real world.
On our first day Drew played Strawberry Swing (coldplay) and I feel like it totally summed up the trip.
"Cold, cold water bring me 'round
Now my feet won't touch the ground
Cold, cold water what you say?
It's such, it's such a perfect day, it's such a perfect day."
Though the things we did were amazing, I feel like this trip was complete affirmation that I have been blessed with some of the best friends ever. To leave a place where Drew and I can be completely real and ourselves, to being picked up by Brian who would move mountains if need be...I am truly one of the lukiest girls in the world.
If only we could have watched Blue Crush...this vacation would be heaven in four days!
27.4.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment