One of my best friends in the whole world got into a uber-prestigious school for photography yesterday. She texted me yesterday to break the good news and I immediately started crying (Cathouse-I know that I used to cry at anything sentimental...but I'm growing up and not shedding as many tears these days so this is a big deal). First I thought it was because I was soo happy for her, but it went so much deeper than that.
We went to celebrate at this funny eastside bar (with great diet coke might I add...thank you boinkers) with some friends of hers from college and they were asking how we all knew each other. It came up that we had known each other for almost eight years. OH MY GOSH! Eight years...that's a third of my life (I think...I was never very good at math). Then it hit me...that's why I was crying. Not only was I so excited for a sweet friend, but I had grown, been refined, broken, and encouraged alongside this amazing woman. Apparently we played basketball together in eigth grade and was super intimidating...and now all of these years later, we are toasting to lifechange.
I came home today (to visit my grandparents...I'm not homesick...promise) and was looking through some old-old-old journals. I used to list my prayers in this hot pink journal with orange sunglasses...t.a.c.k.y. I opened it up today and saw names that I was praying for eight years ago that are also listed in my call log from this afternoon. I have been so blessed to walk alongside these people. There were names that I have long ago forgotten,crushes that I desperately wanted to fight for my affections, and apparently I was very concerned for the salvation of the terrorists as those are listed constantly throughout my journals from 2001-2002. Silly things like homecoming date requests, cars, a 1:05 in the hundred backstroke. Some of those requests God provided (I went a 1:02 suckers), while others (like three years of homecoming dates) were not granted. All in all though, I am grateful to have friends that have known me through all of it.
Because we moved around so much as kids, that's a big deal to me. I never knew long time, consistent relationships before college. It's through these transitions that we see how blessed we are. It's through God's faithfulness that we are given the gift of community and lasting love.
Mitch said it perfectly when she described the group of six that we pal around with..."I mean, we're family".
25.3.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment