Continuing with the roadside signage...
Today I was driving home from work and saw one of the most heartbreaking messages on the Amber Alert board. There are constantly "missing elderly" messages on those boards.
Part of me pictures my great-grandmother (who was a nutcase) driving into the sunset, completely satisfied with leaving life behind. I want to root on that woman, encourage her to experience freedom again. I picture her with a contented look on her face, windows down, hair blowing, face made up, heading for Florida.
Though I wish that were the case, I usually tear up, thinking about how terrified her family is. How she probably doesn't have a destination, just wandering the roads seeking purpose...that's the scary part of aging. We seem to have a harder finding our purpose and role in life. It's makes the day to day seem mundane.
John Mayer puts it so well,
"I'm so scared of getting old, I'm only good at being young."
All that to say, if you ever see missing elderly and my name on a board in the future...check the beach, I'll be catching up on my tan.
24.10.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment