22.5.08

Cell Phones

I graduated on Saturday and was excited about my newfound independence and freedom, and then my cell phone broke...
Seriously, itwas one of the most humiliating processes to try to get a new phone. Not only do I powerless to make my own decisions, but I don't know my Dad's social number, nor do I know any number but my home phone number where my mother had no power to help me. I walked away with a greater understanding that maybe I am destined to childhood forever or maybe I'm better off with a whistle than a phone (for those of you that don't know...my parents gave me a whistle instead of a cell phone and told me that if I got in trouble a whistle would work just fine).

Regardless, Emily spoke some great truth on Monday on the way back from Dallas. We were talking about relationships and the role that texting plays in communicating. It was said that maybe dating couples shouldn't text at all because it creates a false sense of comfort. People are able to text their feelings but can't say them to their face. I had never thought about it, but I totally agree.

Oh technology...

No comments: