Last week I was early getting ready for a little date and took a glass of water to catch up Mrs. Brown. I told her how excited I was, that he was a good guy, kind and handsome and yes, he was picking me up like a gentleman. In trying to gain some wisdom from my sweet neighbor, I asked her what her advice was, how she and Mr. Lewis had remained in love for all of these years. Her response?
"Well I think patriotism is the key"
WHAT?! I almost laughed out loud! It was followed by-
"And make sure he doesn't lie, like on his income tax returns and things like that."
Okay, I think that will be my last time really trusting the advice of Mrs. Brown. Never on my list of husbandly qualities is patriotism on the top.
At my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary a few years ago, I asked my grandma the same question. She responded with much more eloquence. She told me that they lived by the motto that it was going to get tough sometimes and it would be hard to love each other but that "when love wears thing, commitment kicks in".
I see that every day as she cares for my grandfather who is dealing with some health issues. She is so committed to him that love isn't an option-there is no way that she can't love the sweet, sweet PawPaw that she married.
Through all of this research, I'm quickly learning that love is sweet, that it is lasting that sometimes it's a choice. I think I'll choose love.

No comments:
Post a Comment